David Singleton is a non-executive director and expert advisor on resilient leadership and practice, specialising in sustainable solutions for the infrastructure and built environment sectors. With a proven history in outcome-driven innovation in leadership, David has developed a reputation for his pragmatic interest in enterprise sustainability.
David holds several non-executive roles which are underpinned by his experience as chair or director of several corporate entities and industry association boards in Australia, Asia, Africa and the United Kingdom (1981 – present).
David is a strong advocate for the advancement of women in the engineering industry and throughout his career has influenced the introduction of initiatives and policies including paid maternity leave and flexible working schemes.
In August 2014 David retired from a career of 40+ years with Arup, where he spearheaded sustainable business growth through a variety of senior executive roles including CEO and Chairman of Arup Australasia, Chairman of Global Infrastructure (based in UK) and Global Planning leader. From 2004-2011 he was also responsible for global strategy development on diversity and sustainability.
A Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, the Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering, and an Honorary Fellow of the Institution of Engineers Australia, David has received many awards for his work, including five times as one of the 100 Most Influential Engineers in Australia (Engineers Australia) award and as Finalist, CEO of the Year (Equal Opportunity in the Workplace).
BOARD / COUNCIL ROLES
- Member of Council at Swinburne University of Technology (current)
- Non-executive Director, Standards Australia Ltd (current)
- Chairman and Director, Infrastructure Sustainability Council of Australia (current)
- Non-executive Director, AVI (current)
- Swinburne University of technology Smart Cities Institute (current)
- Monash University Industry Advisory Council (current)
- Chair of ATSE Infrastructure Forum (current)
- Chairman, College of Leadership and Management, Engineers Australia (2012-2017)
- Arup Board (2001-2011)
- Member Independent Expert Group, Department of Environment for the development of a Climate Futures Report (2012-2014)
PRESENTING / JUDGE ROLES
- Consult Australia Awards for Excellence
- Engineers Australia CLM events
- Australasian College of Road Safety and the Institute of Transportation Engineers
- Australian Government Dept of Industry, Innovation and Science - Australian French Entrepreneurship Challenge
- ICities conference
- SmartBuild: Smart community and built environment conference
- Australian Construction Achievement Awards